Thursday, October 13, 2005

Why does it matter?

So it's all become clear to me. Well, sort of. While I was reading Hansen, I was thinking about how hard it is for me to read for long periods of time on the screen. I looked at the introduction and saw that it was 18 pages long, so I figured that printing it would not be a problem. Copying and pasting the piece of text wouldn't be a problem either. I am, after all, seeing pages on the screen. Hansen argues that the artifact is becoming less and less relevant. He's saying that the .pdf's we are reading for class that I am printing on real pages and trying to copy and paste onto this blog have become the artifact. Except here's the problem: while we're all looking at these .pdf's as actual (virtual) pages, it's taking a lifetime for my .pdf to print out because the computer is reading the .pdf as an image and sending it to the printer in that format. My copying and pasting is not happening because the .pdf is an image and not a piece of text. It really doesn't matter whether or not we "see" these new artifacts because the computer is not processing them that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home